References for ethnographic
*=critiques of the approach
- Auerbach, Liesa Stamm
- 1982 Children in Tunisia: Implications of a
decision-making model. Social Science & Medicine 16:1499-1506.
- Bauer, Mark C. and Anne L. Wright
- 1996 Integrating qualitative and
quantitative methods to model infant feeding behavior among navajo mothers.
Human Organization 55(2):183-192.
- Chibnick, Michael
- *1980 Working out or working in: the choice
between wage labor and cash cropping in rural Belize. American Ethnologist
- Garro, Linda C.
- 1982 The ethnography of health care
decisions. Social Science & Medicine 16:1451-1452.
- 1986 Decision making models of treatment
choice. In In illness behavior: A multidisciplinary model S. McHugh and T.
M. Vallis, eds. Pp. 173-188. New York: Plenum Press.
- *1998 On the rationality of decision-making
studies: Part 1: Decision models of treatment choice. Medical Anthropology
- *1998 On the rationality of decision-making
studies: Prt 2: Divergent rationalities. Medical Anthropology Quarterly
- Gatewood, John B.
- 1984 Cooperation, competition, and synergy:
Information-sharing groups among Southeast Alaskan salmon seiners. American
- 1983 Deciding where to fish: the skipper's
dilemma in southeast Alaska's salmon seining. Coastal Zone Management
- Gatewood, John B. and Pamela M. Mace
- 1990 Hard work versus patience: Simulation
of fishing strategies in Nova Scotian Herring purse seining. Journal of
Quantitative Anthropology 2:329-352.
- Gladwin, Christina
- 1976 A view of the plan Puebla: an
appplication of hierarchical decision models. American Journal of
Agricultural Economics 58:881-887.
- 1989 Ethnographic decision tree modeling.
Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- Gladwin, Hugh
- 1971 decision making in the Cape Coast (Fante)
fishing and fish marketing system, Unpublished doctoral dissertation,
- Harris, Marvin
- *1975 Why a perfect knowledge of all the
rules that one must know in order to act like a native cannot lead to a
knowledge of how natives act. Journal of Anthropological Research
- Hurwicz, Margo-Lea
- 1995 Physicians' norms and health care
decisions of elderly medicare recipients. Medical Anthropology Quarterly
- Izquierdo, Carolina
- 1995 The illness experience: Health care
choices among Mapuche living in Santiago. Master of Arts Thesis, University
of California, Los Angeles.
- Johnson, Allen W.
- 1980 The limits of formalism in
agricultural decision research. In Agricultural Decision Making:
Anthropolgical Contributions to Rural Development P. F. Barlett, ed. Pp.
19-44. Orlando, Florida: Academic Press, Inc.
- Kayser-Jones, Jeanie
- 1995 Decision making in the treatment of
acute illness in nursing homes: framing the decision problem, treatment
plan, and outcome. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 9(2):236-256.
- *Mathews, Holly F. \
- 1982 Illness classification and treatment
choice: decision making in the medical domain. Reviews in Anthropology
- 1987 Predicting decision outcomes: have we
put the cart before the horse in anthropological studies of decision making.
Human Organization 46(1):54-61.
- Mathews, Holly F. and Carole Hill
- 1990 Applying cognitive decision theory to
the study of regional patterns of illness treatment choice. American
- Mingers, J.
- 1989 An empirical comparison of pruning
methods for decision tree induction. Machine Learning 4:227-243.
- 1989 An empirical comparison of selection
measures for decision-tree induction. Machine Learning 3:319-342.
- Quinlan, J. R.
- 1988 Simplifying decision trees. In
Knowledge Acquisition for Knowledge-Based Systems V. R. Gaines and J. H.
Boose, eds. Pp. 241-254. New York: Academic Press.
- Quinn, Naomi
- 1978 Do Mfantse fish sellers estimate
probabilities in their heads? American Ethnologist 5:206-226.
- Ryan, Gery and Homero Martínez
- 1996 Can we predict what mothers do?:
Modeling childhood diarrhea in rural Mexico. Human Organization 55(1):47-57.
- Schank, R. and Robert Abelson
- 1977 Scripts, plans, goals and
understanding: an inquiry into human knowledge structures. Hillsdale, NJ:
- Schoepfle, G. Mark, Michael L. Burton and F.
- 1984 Navajos and energy development:
Economic decision making under political uncertainty. Human Organization
- Schoepfle, Mark, Michael L. Burton and
- 1984 Navajo attitudes toward development
and change: A unified ethnographic and survey approach to an understanding
of their future. American Anthropologist 86:885-904.
- Stoner, Bradley P.
- *1985 Formal modeling of health care
decisions: some applications and limitations. Medical Anthropology Quarterly
- Weller, Susan C., Trenton K. Ruebush II and
Robert E. Klein
- *1997 Predicting treatment-seeking behavior
in Guatemala: a comparison of the health services research and
decision-theoretic approaches. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 11(2):224-245.
- Werner, Oswald
- 1997 Short Take 22: Converting decision
tables to flow charts with DTREDUCER. Cultural Anthropology Methods Journal
- Young, Allan
- *1981 When rational men fall sick: an
inquiry into some assumptions made by medical anthropologists. Culture,
Medicine and Psychiatry 5:317-335.
- Young, James C.
- 1980 A model of illness treatment decisions
in a Tarascan town. American Ethnologist 7:106-151.
- 1981 Medical choice in a Mexican village.
New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- 1981 Non-use of physicians: Methodological
approaches, policy implications, and the utility of decision models. Social
Science & Medicine 15B:499-507.